After 10 weeks, the term is over! Time to wrap it up and see if I learned something. Week 10 (which I did not post here, but you can find on my instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/easelj/) was quite satisfactory, but the test proof was week 11, aka did I really learn something?
I drew the same subject of week 1, Rob, from the exact same angle, and I am quite pleased with the difference:
I cannot post the reference, but what I can say is that I got the height/width proportion a little off, as well as the corners of the mouth a little too low, together with some other little things that I could have seen better.
I still am where I am, my eye needs to develop but I can definitely see an improvement from week 1. What do you think? This class has been worth every cent for me, can’t wait for next term!
Thanks again to Erik Gist (If you want to check out his instagram page, here it is: https://www.instagram.com/erik_m_gist/)for the awesome teaching and precious advice, and congratulations to all of the students who joined the class, both audit and full subscription!
p.s. for more info about the Watts Atelier, the brick&mortar school and/or the livestream classes, you can checkout wattsatelier.com
Another week, another head drawing. I am kind of happy with this one, as I see the remarks Erik made are putting down roots in my head… no pun intended! 😀
Trying to focus on massing shadow areas, finding a unifying value and varying edge softness. Still far, but I can sense a little improvement!
I am taking a head drawing class with Erik Gist (who is also my mentor, actually), and I am really excited about it!
Each week’s class is packed with great info, and the quality is just unparalleled. I still need to work on some edges, but I feel like I am slowly progressing and breaking the plateau.
I also get weekly critiques and video traceovers, which are an amazing tool for learning and clearly visualizing weak areas to focus on.
This one was about 2 hours!
This is my entry for the Skill Building Challenge 25 at the Watts Atelier of the Arts, and the last month of the yearly Master Skill Building Challenge.
The subject was supposed to be something we are really looking forward to be doing in our career, and that would have been fantasy illustration for me. However, I felt like I did not have the necessary skills to compete yet, so I chose to portray my parents. Here follows the reference I used
After six long months, I feel like I did improve my skills a little bit, hopefully sign of an ascending path from now on.
Time to get back to the program, phew!
P.S. As a side note, I won the honorable mention 😀 http://www.wattsatelier.com/cycle-24-and-25-skill-building-challenge-winners-announced/
After being on vacation for a week (aka no drawing with charcoal) I feel a bit rusty. I sketched this cast I have to get the ball rolling again.
I had previously painted it in oils as mass tone exercise, here: Mass Drawing + Oil Painting Chapter 6 Tone Exercises.
I won’t look at grapefruits the same way anymore…
For those of you who know latin 😛
Here is my final piece for the Watts Atelier Skill Building Challenge 20. Yes, it’s Murray!
He’s very proud of having been chosen as subject for this challenge, hopefully I will get at least a mention.
Below is the whole wip, starting from the very first lay in to the last partial of week 4 (it’s a monthly challenge)
Good luck everyone!
I have been wanting to make something similar to James Gurney’s Taboret since when I first saw it. Last summer I finally got a small drawer from my carpenters, and last months I started renovating and modifying it. This is the end result, I am pretty satisfied with it.
Here is how it looked like before, and while working on it
It’s obviously not as fancy as Gurney’s, but I am planning to make it better as soon as I get more materials